Last week’s Annual Meeting kicked off with 2014 Board Chairman Wayne Chambers passing the gavel to 2015 Chairman Jon Rosell and ended with Dr. Condoleezza Rice answering questions submitted by the public. A crowd of 3,000 people were in attendance to hear the former U.S. Secretary of State’s presentation, which was packed full of quotable insight as she addressed a wide variety of topics from 9/11 and ISIS to education and football. We have collected some of our favorite Condoleezza quotes below.
- “If you were in as position of authority on September 11, every day after that felt like September 12. From that moment on, our perception of security would never be the same.”
- “Before we get impatient, we should remember democracy is really hard. And it takes a really long time.”
- “The men and women of the military who volunteer to defend us are a gift the United States enjoys.”
- “When the U.S. steps back, those who don’t believe in free people and free markets will take power.”
- “When the world is this chaotic, we have to hope someone will lead. I hope it is the extraordinary country of the USA.”
- “Education is the single most important intervention we have against social inequality.”
- “We have to make sure if people work twice as hard, they have a chance.”
- “Your role models and mentors don’t have to look like you. My role models were white men. If I had waited for a black, female Soviet specialist, I would still be waiting.”
- “It doesn’t matter where you are coming from but it matters where you’re going.”
A big thank you to all our event sponsors (see below) and to all who attended. See conversation from the event on Twitter using #RiceDec4 and view photos from the events on our Facebook page.
Wichita Business Journal – “Condoleezza Rice sees education as route to equal opportunity”
Wichita Eagle – “Condoleezza Rice: Education disparity biggest threat to U.S. security”
Carrie Rengers – You don’t say
Presented by Murfin, Inc.
Bank of America/Merrill Lynch, Cox Business, High Touch Technologies,
INTRUST Bank, Kennedy and Coe, LLC, Lubrication Engineers, Inc.,
Meritrust Credit Union, Spirit AeroSystems, Inc., Westar Energy