We were pleased to have a SOLD OUT crowd attend our annual Chairman’s Lunch last Thursday. The discussion-style format provided some great insight into how our local leadership views the need to strengthen our local economy. Both The Wichita Eagle and The Wichita Business Journal covered the event. Here are links to articles and photos they published:
- Wichita must step up efforts to attract jobs, civic leaders say – The Wichita Eagle – February 6
- Chamber luncheon speakers: Wichita needs to compete for better jobs – The Wichita Business Journal – February 6
- Chamber speakers: Wichita’s red line on jobs recovery a call to action – The Wichita Business Journal – February 7
We’ve received multiple inquiries from participants about how they can access the slides that were used to set the stage for the discussion about Wichita’s economic recovery. We’ve POSTED THEM HERE for your review.
2014 Chamber Chairman Wayne Chambers closed our discussion with an observation about the imperative components we need to bring more primary jobs to South Central Kansas.
- A full tool box – Ready sites and buildings, a trained labor force, a war chest of money or incentives that our community leaders can use when needed, and an “open for business” sign.
- Low and/or competitive taxes
- A business-friendly environment
- A common or unified voice that “we are Wichita”
- Speed – It’s not the big that eat the small. It’s the fast that eat the slow. – Jason Jennings
Let’s leave here today and take a page out of WSU Basketball Coach Marshall’s playbook. As a community, let’s go out and “play angry” and win the competitive game.
We’d like to recognize our presenting sponsor, Grant Thornton, LLP for making it possible to host this important discussion. We appreciate all the sponsors who participated and supported this event as well as all of those who braved the cold temperatures to join us. Our special thanks to Wichita Mayor Carl Brewer, County Commission Chairman Dave Unruh, and our 2014 Chamber Chairman Wayne Chambers for their participation. Please check the album on our Facebook page for event photos.
President & CEO